Support PDF,DOC,DOCX,TXT,XLS,WPD,HTM,HTML fils up to 5MB
A Cover Letter is Considered to Be an Important Asset While Applying for a Paralegal Job
by Hardeep Singh Arora
Your cover letter serves the following purposes:
- Connecting you immediately with the hiring firm
- Letting the firm know which position you are applying for
- Enthusiastically conveying why the firm should consider you for the position
- Highlighting pertinent parts of your resume
- Providing the firm with a sample of your writing and advocacy skills
Your cover letter is a critical ingredient in your search for a paralegal job because it can be used to convey important information that simply doesn't fit on your resume. For instance, you can emphasize your commitment to the legal profession and stress your research and management skills. Your cover letter personalizes your application for employment and allows you to highlight the professional and personal values you will bring to your potential employer. Your cover letter is also where you can communicate your interest in a specific field.
In a paralegal job search, an all-purpose cover letter can be an effective time-saver as it serves as a template which you can modify as necessary each time you send your resume to a law firm. An all-purpose paralegal cover letter is a serious letter, but it need not be a dull letter. Your paralegal cover letter should contain active verbs and use active rather than passive voice. Correct spelling, accurate grammar, and immaculate proofreading are all crucial. Minor grammatical errors or typos can create an impression of carelessness and lead the firm to decide against calling you in for a job interview.
If you are a paralegal, your cover letter is probably more important than your resume. If a law firm receives only your resume without a cover letter, you will appear ignorant of professional conventions and possibly confuse the firm.
Your cover letter should contain just enough highlights from your resume to make the hiring manager want to meet you. A good paralegal cover letter distinguishes you from other candidates with similar credentials and backgrounds, but a great paralegal cover letter conveys your experience and accomplishments in a way that inspires potential employers to contact you immediately before they've even considered other candidates.
Read More About Legal Resumes
- Devloping the skills of wrting a perfect Law firm Resume
- The Dos and Don'ts of Cover Letter Writing
- Essential Resume Profiles
- Tips on how to write a great cover letter and a Resume
- Formatting Your Resume
- Broadening Your Resume When Job Experience is Scarce
- How to choose writing samples for an interview
- Your Attorney Resume: Use a Statement of Qualifications and a Cover Letter Instead of an Objective
- How to Write a Legal Resume: Tips on Writing a Legal Resume to Get an Attorney Job
- Legal Research Writing
Please see the following articles for more information about paralegals and paralegal jobs:
- Qualifications and Responsibilities of a Paralegal
- The Questions to Expect During a Paralegal Job Interview
- The Virtual Paralegal Allows Paralegals to Work at Home or Offsite
- Independent Paralegals sought by Legal Firms on Contract basis
- Paralegal Licensing and Regulation: Part I-The ''Pros''
- Paralegal Licensing and Regulation: Part II-The ''Cons''
- Tips for Becoming a Successful Paralegal
- Male Paralegals: Is There Really a Glass Elevator?
- A Paralegal’s Guide to Forming Client Interview Questionnaires
- Honoring and Celebrating Paralegals untiring behind the scene work
- 10 Good Reasons to Become a Paralegal
- Practical Billing Tips for Paralegals
- What Does it Take to Become a Paralegal?
- Various Types of Paralegal Jobs
- How Important is ABA Approval for Paralegal Programs?
- The Life and Career of Tracie Goodwin: Paralegal to Attorney
- Creating an Exceptional Paralegal Resume
Please see the following articles for more information about cover letters:
- Eight Simple Rules to Keep Your Resume and Cover Letter Out of the Trash
- Creating an Exceptional Paralegal Cover Letter
Being the comprehensive and well managed site that it is, I do not think that LawCrossing needs any suggestions.
LawCrossing Fact #86: Because very few people know about many of the jobs on LawCrossing, users experience less competition when applying for jobs.
NOW TRENDING ON BCG ATTORNEY SEARCH
MOST POPULAR ARTICLES
Testimonial of the Week
- Brian McMillan San Francisco, CA
Immigration Associate Attorney
North Miami, FL
The Law Offices of Kenneth Panzer is seeking to hire an experienced associate attorney to join the firm. Candidates shou...
It's not who you know but who you are willing to know. Become active in professional, social, civic organizations. Meet as many people as you can and get the word out.