Summary: Like most jobs, success at a law firm is all about forming relationships, working hard, and navigating the company culture.
- Law firm life isn’t easy.
- The hours are long and the competition is exceedingly difficult.
- No wonder a strong percentage of new law school graduates simply give up on the law to pursue other interests.
- Problem is, lawyers are needed, and usually for a much greater good than just themselves.
- Here are 10 tips to help new and veteran lawyers succeed in law firms.
So, you graduated from law school with good grades, killer recommendations, and knowledge of the law. You land an $180,000/a year associate gig, and you’ve passed the bar. You’ve done everything you could to get this coveted law firm position. Congrats! But now what do you do once you’re in the door? Like most jobs, success at a law firm is all about forming relationships, working hard, and navigating the company culture.
“Pretty much in any profession, what separates the very best from the rest is a combination of exceptional skills, tireless work ethic, grit/never quit attitude, great team members, and luck. It’s no different with the practice of law,” Oliver Armas, Managing Partner of Hogan Lovells
New York office, told LawCrossing.
Armas and other legal experts shared their advice on how to succeed at a law firm, and the following are the top 10 tips:
- Treat everyone with respect.
- Hone your writing skills.
- Immerse yourself in your work.
- Lose your ego.
- Develop business.
- Take the time to understand what your client wants and needs.
- Never give less than 100%.
- Get involved.
- Dress the part.
- Maintain your sanity.
Want to continue reading ?
Become a subscriber to LawCrossing's Job Seeker articles.
Once you become a subscriber you will have unlimited access to all of LawCrossing Job Seeker's articles.
There is absolutely no cost!
Already a member? Login | Forgot your password
LawCrossing is a wonderful and extremely helpful site which is very well organized.
LawCrossing Fact #63: With an easy-to-use layout, LawCrossing helps users find jobs quickly and efficiently.