Support PDF,DOC,DOCX,TXT,XLS,WPD,HTM,HTML fils up to 5MB
Only legal professional certified translators who specialize in translating legal text should translate legal writing. To be a legal professional certified translator one must be certified with the American Translators Association (ATA). ATA, a professional association, was established to confer a status to develop those professionals who translate and interpret. There are 10,000 members of the ATA and the membership covers 90 plus countries. Their professional members work in many careers such as translators, interpreters, teachers, web and software developers, project managers, hospitals, government agencies, and universities.
The goal of ATA is to foster the professional development of translators and interpreters while advancing the translation and interpreting professions. This includes legal interpretation through the certification program the organization offers to all translators.
The following are the steps to become an ATA member and become certified:
Become an ATA Associate member. Associate membership is available to any person interested in the ATA. Applicants will remain Associate members for four weeks before they apply for Active Membership Review or take the ATA certification test. When an associate passes the certification exam he automatically advances to Active status.
Meet Eligibility Requirements
1. Verification of a bachelor's degree. (If a translator does not have a bachelor's degree he may substitute 5 years work experience as a translator or interpreter.)
2. Documentation that the candidate has worked at least 2 years as a translator or interpreter.
Sign Up for a Three Hour, Open Book ATA Exam. Certify in a language combination.
These steps will satisfy employers of ones ability to do professional certified legal translation but some law firms might have more requirements than just being a certified translator. Here are some specific requirements set forth by a company which hires legal professional certified translators to be on staff for legal translation.
- The interpretation of legal language and the intent of the source text to suit its culture
- A legal translator being familiar with the legal system from which the document originates
- The knowledge of most legal documents and the precise rights and duties established for the involved individuals
- Legal translation of Certificates of Accuracy, Trusts, Wills, Articles of Incorporation, and Depositions
- Occasionally court attendance by the legal translator
- The use of law dictionaries
- There are many legal events to which the legal translator might have to be a participant: contract translations, purchase agreements, legal disclaimers, non-disclosure agreements, legal certifications and statements, legal rulings, litigation support, export reports, and arbitration.
Popular Articles About Being a Paralegal
- Practical Billing Tips for Paralegals
- Becoming a Legal File Clerk Can Be a Great Entry into the Field of Law
- How Important is ABA Approval for Paralegal Programs?
- Online Paralegal Programs
- Essential requirements to be a successful Law Librarian
- Honoring and Celebrating Paralegals untiring behind the scene work
- Male Paralegals: Is There Really a Glass Elevator?
- Tips for Becoming a Successful Paralegal
- 10 Good Reasons to Become a Paralegal
- What Does it Take to Become a Paralegal?
- Legal Billing Clerk - a Great Place to Start in a Law Firm
- A Career as a Law Librarian
- The tedious procedure of Recovering Paralegal Fees
The best part of LawCrossing is the regular emails and alerts. By far, it is the best search engine I have come across!
LawCrossing Fact #68: Users who tailor their job alerts will find jobs more easily than those who don’t.
NOW TRENDING ON BCG ATTORNEY SEARCH
MOST POPULAR ARTICLES
Testimonial of the Week
- Jennifer Guidea Bloomfield, NJ
Temporary Litigation Attorney
JURISolutions is partnering with a client who is looking to identify an experienced litigation attorney for a temporary ...
Fear of interviewing? Practice makes perfect. You'll get better over time.