150 East 42nd Street, | New York City | NY | 10017
Year of establishment
Number of offices
New York City
Number of attorneys
Wilson Elser ranks among the top law firms of the world. It is a full service firm, having upwards of 800 attorneys in 23 offices in the US and across the world, including London, France, Germany and Mexico. This depth in the high number of lawyers and wide ranging office in disparate geographical locations has seen it being ranked among the top 100 by The American Lawyer and in the top 50 by the National Law Journal.
Founded in 1979, by attorneys Thomas Wilson Sr. and John Elser and Max Edelman, the firm has established a formidable reputation as an outstanding provider of legal services in insurance coverage and defense. Today, the firm provides its valued clients with an all encompassing range of outstanding legal services in virtually all areas of law, ensuring that while the services are top-class the firm ensures that are also cost-effective to the clients.
Of its 800 attorneys, a very high percentage are seasoned senior litigators, which gives the firm an advantage when faced with cases that are complex and technical in nature. Many of the firm’s attorney’s are specialists having a broad-based comprehensive knowledge in a particular field, having specialized degrees in business, engineering, medicine and accounting, as well as extensive on-the-ground professional experience.
By combining its attorneys’ deep experience with the vast resources and technical capacity of a large and highly respected firm, Wilson Elser consistently provides its clients with sound, uncompromising legal representation.
Areas of practice
Business & Financial Transactions
Insurance & Reinsurance
- In a far-reaching decision that will impact construction professionals, product manufacturers, suppliers and distributors, the Connecticut Supreme Court, explicitly recognized the antiquated common law doctrine of nullum tempus occurit regi as a well-established part of Connecticut common law. The court ruled that the state is allowed to sue defendants even when the applicable statutes of limitations and statutes of repose in civil actions have long passed.
- Bob Harrison (Partner-San Diego) and Patrick Kearns (Associate-San Diego) recently obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a client, a Germany-based industrial seat manufacturer, in a product liability case where the plaintiff sought more than $43 million dollars in damages.
- The medical malpractice team of Marshal Endick (Partner-New York) and Jeff Araten (Partner-New York), along with an appellate team member Judy Selmeci (Associate-New York) obtained a dismissal of a high-exposure quadriplegia case argued before the Appellate Division, Second Department. Wilson Elser represented an emergency room physician.
- Thomas W. Hyland (Partner-New York), Ernie Tonorezos (Partner-New York) and Andrew DiConza (Associate-New York) obtained a defense verdict on March 14, 2012, in what was the oldest legal malpractice case in the New York court system. The team also obtained a directed verdict from the trial judge on the fee action that originally started the action.
- In an unusual case for Wilson Elser, Donald Derrico (Partner-White Plains) and Robert Spolzino (Partner-White Plains) obtained a defense verdict in a complicated, contested matrimonial action. The divorce action commenced in 2004 before New York became a No Fault state. The parties went forward with the equitable distribution aspect of the case without stipulating to fault.
Awards and recognitions
- Jacqueline Hattar (Partner-White Plains) has been elected president of the New York City chapter of the Claims & Litigation Management Alliance (CLM), an inclusive, collaborative national organization that promotes and furthers the highest standards of claims and litigation management.
- Chartis Insurance has named Mathew Ross (Partner-New York) one of its Top 10 Lawyers for 2012.
- Avenue Magazine, Manhattan's oldest society magazine, has named Julie Evans, Robin Gregory and Lois Ottombrino to its list of the Top Women Lawyers of 2012.
- The American Lawyer ranks the firm amongst the top 100, whilst the National Law Journal ranks it among the top 50.
- Wilson Elser has been named to Corporate Counsel magazine's 2012 list of "Litigation Kings," which appeared in the October 2012 issue. The firm appeared in two areas - contracts litigation and torts litigation.
- Wilson Elser has been named a Go-To Law Firm
The firm encourages all candidates who are interested in joining the firm to browse the Current Opportunities page on its website to search for openings throughout their offices, nationwide. Once they find a vacancy that suits their desires and qualifications the candidate is advised to submit his/her application and resume. The firm's Human Resources team will review them and if they find that the applicant's skills and experience match the vacancy, the team will contact them.
The firm offers comprehensive benefits that may include medical, dental, short- and long-term disability, life insurance, emergency child care, paid time off, holidays, business travel accident insurance, an employee assistance program and more
The firm believes that ushering in an environment that accommodates and encourages diversity is something that is ingrained in them since their genesis. Their commitment to diversity is of vital importance to the success of the firm and central to the uprightness and vivacity of the legal field.
The firm says that the coming together of people with diverse backgrounds and beliefs, diverse viewpoints and cultures, further the pioneering and imaginative thinking that enhances the firm's ability to respond to the needs of its clients.
The firm's commitment to diversity is reflected in its efforts in recruitment, hiring and training as well as in the organizations to which it belongs and in the program it sponsors.
The firm says that its working environment is free of any prejudice and bias and personal perspectives and abilities are valued and respected. The firm has adopted a policy of equal opportunity employment without discrimination or harassment.
The Wilson Elser workplace makes a serious attempt to reflect the rich diversity of the communities in which they practice and believe that to serve the diversity of its clients, its workforce should also be diverse. The only impediments that candidates desirous of working for Wilson Elser face are enforced by their own preferences, qualifications and capacities.
Summer associate program
Summer Associates at Wilson Elser can expect to attain great heights of accomplishment with the support and guidance of exceptional schooling and training through assigned mentors. Working for a firm of this size and stature, associates may find themselves arguing cases in court, much earlier that when they would perhaps do in smaller size firms.
The collegial and people-friendly atmosphere is favorable to direct and channelize each associate in the right direction and assist him in finding the right career path and provide him/her with opportunities to excel at the highest levels of the legal profession.
Associates are constantly encouraged to take on as much responsibility as they can. The firm feels that it has a vested interest in advancing the careers of the associates as from among them will be permanent employees of the firm.
Resources are like what one can expect from a firm the size and stature of Wilson Elser. Attorneys of all hues, the novices to the experiences, benefit from the support of a first-class professional staff, a robust legal library, a state-of-the-art information technology platform, and comprehensive human resources and marketing services.
Working for the Wilson Elser
A career at Wilson Elser will be a rich and rewarding experience and provide the applicant with a wide range of service areas numbering upwards of fifty. Service areas include human resources, finance, information technology, marketing, administrative support, library services, litigation support, operations and legal assistant services.
The firm is a full-service, multi-practice law firm, where the workplace atmosphere is collegial and respectful and encourages growth.
The firm is committed to the professional development of its workers ensuring that they have every opportunity to advance their careers through promotions, increased responsibility and internal mobility. These growth opportunities combined with competitive compensation and outstanding benefits are some reasons why it is worthwhile pursing your careers at Wilson Elser.
The firm believes that giving back to the community that has given them so much is a priority principle at the firm. The firm offers widespread pro bono services that are specifically created to ensure that people who lack it, need it, but cannot afford it, get assistance from the legal system. They are especially inclined towards providing expert legal expertise to the poor and the marginalized.
The firm specifically encourages its attorneys to perform pro bono work that is specific to the area where the attorney's live and work and address the problems as best as they can and with the same commitment and intent as they would for their paying clients.
Pro Bono work creates and provides a great learning experience for the attorneys of the firm and helps forge meaningful and evocative relationship with communities across the nation.
Wilson Elser's pro bono initiatives demand the same high standards of professionalism accorded to any paid work undertaken by the firm. The firm's attorneys endeavor to use their extensive litigation and trial experience to help those who do not have the resources to retain counsel, including children, immigrants and veterans.
Seeking a Professional Liability Associate with J.D. degree from an accredited law school and admission to practice in NY State. 2-4 years of professional liability experience is needed. Experience with Attorney liability defense is required. Must have solid deposition experience. Legal project mana...
Seeking a General Liability Associate with J.D. degree from an accredited law school and admission to practice in the state of Nevada. 3-5 years of experience, preferably in general liability, professional liability, and/or products is needed. File handling and experience with client guidelines are ...
Seeking a Medical Malpractice Associate with J.D. degree from an accredited law school and admission to practice in VA. 3-4 years of experience, with defense medical malpractice experience is needed. Legal project management experience is helpful.
New York City Labor Law 240/241 Construction Associate
Candidate should have a J.D. degree from an accredited law school with 3 - 5 years experience. Must be admitted to practice in New York State. Significant Labor Law Defense (240/241 construction) experience. Knowledge in Security Guard liabilit...
Personal Injury/Professional Liability Defense Associate
The candidate must possess a J.D. degree from an accredited law school. Must be admitted to practice in Illinois and Indiana. Should have 2-5 years of litigation experience. Experience in handling personal injury and/or professional liability...
New Legal Jobs in Last 7 Days
Job of the day
Attorney in Atlanta, GA USA-Atlanta
Compliance Officer- Cards Fair Lending
The candidate will support company Cards Compliance in the execution of the comp...
job search tip
Practice your answers in front of the mirror, into a tape recorder, and on video, if possible. Look for nervous mannerisms like hair twirling, ear pulling, neck scratching.