One Logan Square, | Philadelphia | PA | 19103-6998
Year of establishment
Number of offices
Number of attorneys
Number of associates
Number of partners
Partner: associate ratio
Percent women attorneys
Percent minority attorneys
By listening to general counsel, business leaders and entrepreneurs, and anticipating their needs, Blank Rome has provided exceptional service to clients for more than 65 years. We have become one of America's largest law firms by adding leading talent and new practice areas to handle critical client matters. We invite you to explore this site to learn how our experience, depth, and diversity can enhance your business. At Blank Rome, we see the world through our clients' eyes. Blank Rome is proud of its deep tradition of pro bono service which traces its roots to one of the Firm’s founding partners, Edwin P. Rome. Mr. Rome served as counsel for Aaron “Treetop” Turner, a client on Pennsylvania’s Death Row, representing him for more than 11 years and through five separate trials and appeals, until Mr. Turner was exonerated and freed by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court. For more than 65 years, Blank Rome’s core values of respect for the individual, the community, and the law have been expressed through our leadership in pro bono and community activities. Pro bono service is encouraged and supported across the Firm, through training and mentoring and a culture that recognizes the importance of ensuring that everyone has equal access to legal representation.
Under the leadership of Grant Palmer, Chair of Blank Rome’s Pro Bono Committee, and Kathy Ochroch, Director of Pro Bono Services, the Firm has a formal pro bono policy that encourages each of our attorneys and paralegals to undertake at least 65 hours of pro bono service every year. To help attorneys and paralegals achieve this goal, they receive assistance with identifying pro bono opportunities that will be meaningful to them, and appropriate training and resources to support their endeavors.
Areas of practice
Antitrust Counseling & Litigation
Business Restructuring & Bankruptcy
Benefits & Labor
Equipment Leasing and Finance
Government Ethics and Compliance
Mergers & Acquisitions
Privacy and Security
Shale Oil & Gas Development
Trusts & Estates
White Collar Defense & Investigations
During its phenomenal journey the firm has notched up some impressive victories. Some of its recent accomplishments are as under:
- Blank Rome represented Smith Cooper International L.L.C., a producer and value-added distributor of high-quality pipe, valves and fittings and a portfolio company of ZS Fund, L.P., in its acquisition by Blue Point Capital Partners. The transaction closed in October of 2012.
- Blank Rome recently represented Toll Brothers Inc. in its agreement to construct a $77 million, seven-building apartment complex in Plymouth Meeting, PA, in partnership with Brandywine Realty Trust. The complex will consist of 398 apartments on 20 acres of land, with a fitness center, club house, pool and dog park.
- Blank Rome successfully represented General Cable Corporation in its private offering of $600 million in aggregate principal amount of senior notes due 2022. The Notes were offered only to qualified institutional buyers in reliance upon Rule 144A under the Securities Act and non-U.S. persons outside of the United States in reliance upon Regulation S under the Securities Act.
- In a major victory secured by Blank Rome LLP on behalf of client Hollywood Tanning Systems, Inc., the team, led by former District of New Jersey Judge Stephen M. Orlofsky, secured a decision filed in the District Court of New Jersey denying Plaintiff's third motion for class certification.
- On July 2, Ingram Micro Inc., the world's largest technology distributor and supply-chain services provider, and Brightpoint Inc., a global leader in providing device lifecycle services to the wireless industry, announced Ingram Micro's acquisition of Brightpoint. Blank Rome LLP represented Brightpoint in the transaction which is valued at approximately $849 million.
- Blank Rome represented Crudecorp, ASA, an international exploration and production company based in Norway, in connection with a $30,000,000 prepaid oil swap transaction with Credit Suisse. Blank Rome negotiated the ISDA documentation governing the oil swap, along with the related payment swap and gas swap relating to oil and gas production in Kern County, California.
Awards and recognitions
Blank Rome is consistently ranked among the leading law firms in each of its central practice areas. Additionally, its lawyers are consistently recognized as industry leaders and ranked among the best practitioners worldwide.
- Dwayne M. Andrews and Singleton B. McAllister were selected by On Being a Black Lawyer (OBABL) as among the nation's top black lawyers with influence and were featured in a OBABL's special edition called "Salute to the Congressional Black Caucus and Top Black Lawyers With Influence.
- Blank Rome has been ranked among the 2012 "Top 100 Law Firms for Women" by MultiCultural Law Magazine.
- Blank Rome has been named a "Go-To Law Firm for the Top 500 Companies" for their litigation work.
- Blank Rome has been recognized by the ABA Standing Committee on Pro Bono & Public Service and the ABA Center for Pro Bono for receiving the 2012 Justice William J. Brennan Award, presented by Philadelphia VIP.
- Blank Rome has been named the "Best Maritime & Shipping Law Firm-USA" by World Finance magazine's Legal Awards 2012.
- Blank Rome practice groups and attorneys have again been ranked in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business. The 2012 edition of Chambers USA recognized Blank Rome practice groups in 12 categories this year, and also ranked more than 40 Blank Rome attorneys as "leaders in their fields."
In a candidate the firm looks for exceptional academic achievement, law school activities, strong interpersonal skills, demonstrated leadership and community involvement. The firm's salary & compensation reviews include all signing and year-end bonuses, vacation time and other perks and reimbursements that make up total compensation.
The firm hires the majority of its summer associates through on-campus recruiting. If the candidates school is not on the firm's on-campus interview schedule candidates are advised to send their resume, transcript and cover letter, along with a writing sample to the Attorney Recruiting representative in the office in which they would like to work.
The firm says that it considers its human resources as its true capital. Through their diverse attributes, backgrounds, and experiences they provide the innovative and imaginative solutions the firm is renowned for. Its founding fathers had founded the firm way back in 1946, primarily because, owing to the religion they belonged to, they were banned from joining many established firms. The founders' vision for their firm was to create a place that would be free from all bias and prejudice and one that would have an all welcoming atmosphere.
The firm has threefold diversity objectives, a place where everyone can work to their best potential, a place where people can work freely and wholly without any fear of prejudice and through their work attract and bind its diverse endowments and competencies to enhance the Firm's client service. The firm says that the coming together of people with diverse backgrounds and beliefs, diverse viewpoints and cultures, further the pioneering and imaginative thinking that enhances the firm's ability to respond to the needs of its clients.
The firm is strongly committed to upholding diversity among its workers and is dedicated to the recruitment, promotion and retention of attorneys and staff with diverse backgrounds. The firm looks to provide employment to groups that are traditionally underrepresented in the professions workplaces. The firm has appointed special officers and formed committees to discover and prioritize and evaluate diversity matters within the firm and to maintain and sustain diversity related schemes and proposals.
The Diversity Committee meets quarterly to discuss diversity activities and events, provides input on recruiting and retention programs, integration of diversity into the firm's business plan, and communication on diversity both internally and externally.
Summer associate program
Blank Rome's summer program is very good and the firm is justifiably proud of it. The firm attributes the success of its program to its dedicated recruiting committee and the commitment of our attorneys who provide Summer Associates with meaningful work opportunities. The program provides a rewarding and realistic introduction to the practice of law at the firm.
Summer Associates are given the choice of selecting challenging assignments from all of the Firm's practice groups. Attorneys nominated as Summer Program Co-Chairs make sure that all Summer Associates receive steady, meaningful feedback. Furthermore, each Summer Associate is assigned an Associate and Partner mentor, who serve as a precious resource for questions regarding assignments, the Firm, and protocol. The Firm also offers wide-ranging developmental training programs.
A large part of the success of the program is owing to the large amount of time that the attorneys invest in it. The attorneys are determined that the time the associates spend with the firm provides them with a rich fulfilling experience. In addition to hands-on experience and instruction that the attorneys provide the associate under their charge the firm has introduced its Associate Career Development program which provides each associate with a roadmap of essential career milestones specific to their developmental phase and practice area.
Associates are encouraged to participate in pro bono programs. Not only does it fulfill a great social service but is also a great learning experience. Associates at the firm have been known to have rendered yeoman services in matters as disparate as asylum proceedings, child custody, domestic violence, estate planning for low-income senior citizens, and death penalty appeals.
It's not all work and summer associate can expect a number of social events which will provide for an enjoyable experience and provide an opportunity to interact with others at the firm. Summer associate compensation is proportionate to first-year entry-level compensation. Summer associates are paid semi-monthly with the rest of the Firm.
The firm was ranked 29th out of 101 firms in American Lawyer's 2010 Summer Associate Survey.
Salary & benefits
401(k)/IRA/Other Retirement Plan
Bar Association Fees
Domestic Partner Benefits
Employee Assistance Program
Family/Dependent Care Leave
Flexible Spending Account/Pre-Tax Option
Long-term Care Insurance
Long-term Disability Insurance
Medical Spending Account
Short-term Disability Insurance
Technology (Laptop, PDA, etc.)
Benefits Package: Medical, Life, AD&D, LTD effective upon hire and 4 weeks vacation after first year. Lateral relocation expenses. Optional Flex Plan benefits available including Dependent Medical; Dental; Dependent Care Spending Account.; Health Advocacy Services; Health Care Spending Account.; add'l Life Insurance.; AD&D; LT Care Ins. We also offer Excess Liability Insurance, Personal Accident Indemnity plan, Specified Health Event Protection plan and a Cancer Indemnity Insurance plan. Other benefits include: EAP/Work-Life Programs; Back-up off-site Child/Elder Care; and 401K Plan. On-site 24/7 fitness center.
Working for the Blank Rome LLP
The firm attracts a diverse group of exceptionally talented attorney and staff, owing to the value it places on each individual and the respect that they get at the firm. The working environment at the firm is flexible and supportive where everyone gets to work to their utmost potential and capability.
The firm offers competitive salaries. The firm has excellent infrastructure including beautifully appointed offices and amenities such as: fitness center, full-service cafeteria, and concierge services.
The firm has grown to be one of the nation's largest firms, and continues to foster a culture that embodies civility and integrity. The firm is committed to providing an outstanding employee-relations program of equal opportunity and respect and to maintain a flexible and professional working atmosphere.
Blank Rome has a proud tradition of pro bono service. One of the firm's founding father s, Edwin P. Rome fought for the freedom of a client on Death Row for 11 persistent years and eventually got him exonerated and freed.
In its 65 years of existence the firm has never flagged from its founder's commitment to pro bono work and has inculcated as the firm's core values respect for the individual, the community, and the law. Pro bono service is encouraged and supported across the Firm, through training and mentoring and a culture that recognizes the importance of ensuring that everyone has equal access to legal representation.
The firm has a formal pro bono policy that encourages each of its attorneys and paralegals to undertake at least 65 hours of pro bono service every year. To help attorneys and paralegals achieve this goal, they receive assistance with identifying pro bono opportunities that will be meaningful to them, and appropriate training and resources to support their endeavors.
In 2012 and 2009, Philadelphia VIP presented the Firm with the William J. Brennan Award, the highest honor given by Philadelphia VIP for pro bono contributions by a law firm. In 2008 and 2010, the Firm received the Chancellor's Award, the second highest award, from Philadelphia VIP.
Consumer Finance Litigation Staff Associate
The candidate should have 4-6 years of experience. Must be able to handle all phases of litigation and experience in handling consumer banking, finance, and real estate related-litigation is preferred, but not required. Must be self-motivated, personable ...
Real Estate Associate
The candidate should have 4-6 years of experience in commercial real estate. Must have experience in acquisition, disposition, leasing, development, construction, and financing of real estate projects. Must be self-motivated, personable team players comfortable directly interf...
Professional Development Manager
Duties: Develop assignment systems and coordinate work assignments, taking into consideration client needs, resource availability, cross-office staffing, diversity, the attorney’s interests and skills, relationship-building, and other professional development cons...
The candidate will provide support to attorneys in the IP practice group on legal matters from commencement to resolution. Will perform both foreign and domestic patent, trademark and copyright searches as well as due diligence searches. Draft and file new trademark applications with t...
Entry-level IP Paralegal
The candidate provides support to attorneys on legal matters from commencement to resolution. Provides assistance at trial. Prepares legal documents. Provides proof-reading and factual review of legal documents. Cite checking. Conducts factual investigations related to lega...
New Legal Jobs in Last 7 Days
Job of the day
Corporate Attorney in New York City, NY USA-New York City
Senior Relationship Manager I
Duties: Responsible for onboarding new bond transactions and day to day relationship ma...
job search tip
Never fudge on dates or fake degrees. These are career killers.