Why You Should Try the 80/20 Diet Rule Today

3 Views
( 3 votes, average: 3.6 out of 5)
What do you think about this article? Rate it using the stars above and let us know what you think in the comments below.
Summary: Are you having a hard time sticking to a strict diet but really want to get fit and lose that extra weight? You should definitely give the 80/20 diet rule a try.
 
You should give the 80/20 diet rule a try if you want to lose weight and keep it off.

We all hear about new diet crazes like ketogenic, paleo, vegan, carb cycling, etc., and while these can be used as lifestyle choices rather than diets, for those just looking to lose some weight they can be overwhelming. The downside of sticking to a strict diet is that it leaves little room for enjoying food in the way you’re used to. Ketogenic? Forget your mom’s cookies at Christmastime. Carb cycling? Too bad that pasta night falls on a low carb day. No sugar? Forget about joining your friends for frozen yogurt!


 
Oftentimes, these strict diets can lead people to getting fed up and binge eating the foods that are “off limits.” Then you feel guilty and beat yourself up about it and go back to the strict diet. These strict diet, bingeing, and guilt cycles are unhealthy for both our bodies and our mental state.
 
This is where the 80/20 diet comes into play. So what is the 80/20 diet? Basically, no food group is considered “bad” or “off-limits.” Sounds good? The important thing to remember, however, is that you can’t just go crazy and expect to see results or feel healthy. The key to the 80/20 diet is that 80% of the time, you eat healthy and in a way that makes you feel good, physically. Then, the other 20% of the time you can enjoy foods that aren’t necessarily healthy. Basically, you make sure the majority of your food choices are healthy, while still allowing room for treats and indulgences, which is much less restricting and easier on your social life and your mentality.
 
There are, however, pros and cons to the 80/20 diet. The pros are that you don’t feel the need to be perfect all the time, which can be stressful and generally unenjoyable. Life is meant to be enjoyed, right? It can also keep you from binge eating or over-doing it when you finally let yourself have a treat. Generally, it’s much more realistic for the average person and more of an attainable lifestyle.
 
The downside, however, is that it can be hard to keep track of that 20% and overall, it’s a little vague. You might find yourself slipping into 70/30 or 60/40 and suddenly not feeling as energetic or seeing the scale start to move upward. If you have three meals a day, that’s 21 meals a week. 20% would be about 4 less healthy meals a week, or just 4 pieces of dessert or unhealthy options. The key is to keep track and not get carried away. Planning ahead for your week can be key, and even planning your treats can be helpful because oftentimes the anticipation is just as good or better than the actual indulgence.
 
If you’re struggling with sticking to something strict or even reigning in the amount of treats you’re eating now, consider trying out the 80/20 rule and see how it works for you and your lifestyle.



Popular tags

The Happy Attorney      Diet      Health      Eating     

Featured Testimonials

It's amazing how many 1L Summer Associate positions I found on LawCrossing, thank you!
Jenny


Facts

LawCrossing Fact #163: You can apply for many of the jobs listed on our site via email or regular mail -- whatever is most comfortable and convenient for you!


Job title
Location
Lees Summit, MO
Description
General Counsel The candidate will be providing legal advice and representation on a variety of bus...
Job title
Location
Tacoma, WA
Description
Attorney The candidate will be providing strategic and transactional counsel to the corporate leade...
Job title
Location
Kansas City, MO
Description
General Counsel The candidate will be providing legal advice and representation on a variety of bus...
Location
Irving, TX
Description
Position Summary As a Legal Administrative Assistant you will be supporting multiple attorneys in...
Location
Wellington, NEWZEALAND(GENERAL), New Zealand
Description
Litigation / Employment Solicitor The candidate must have 2-4 years of experience to work on a mix ...
Apply now  
 

Success Stories

LawCrossing is fantastic! When I am looking for a job, it is the first place I come to. The service is very good and I enjoyed the emails. LawCrossing has more jobs and it is more tailored. Other sites gave a lot of irrelevant results. Your site may have a great algorithm, but it felt like an actual person choosing jobs they felt would be good based on my search. I will always recommend this site!
  • Ann Harris Harvey, LA