Summary: When an interviewer asks if you have any questions for them, here are some suggestions.
You might be thinking, “Wait, aren’t I supposed to be answering
the questions?” Yes, for the most part you’ll be the one answering their questions, but you should never show up to an interview without questions of your own about the law firm or the position. At the end of an interview, your interviewer will almost always ask you if you have any questions for him or her. To say “no” implies that you’ve done little research or have little interest in the position. To help you on your next interview, here are the top 5 questions you can ask when the tables are turned.
- What are the performance expectations for this position? How are those reviewed? You know what the job is about (or I hope so), so now you want to find out what exactly they’d expect of you in this role and how they’ll go about evaluating you as well.
- Would I go through any training prior to starting actual work? It’s important to know how a law firm onboards new employees, and what training will look like for you. Some law firms don't have a lot of hands on training, while other firms require a month-long training process.
- Can you tell me what sort of advancements I could work towards in this firm? Knowing whether there is any mobility in the law firm and how they advance their employees is important to deciding if this job would be a good move on your own career path.
- What do you enjoy most about working here? You definitely want to know what you’re getting into, so hearing why your interviewer keeps coming in day after day will be insightful for finding out if this is the right law firm for you.
- What are the next steps in the interview process? Asking this question demonstrates that you are invested in this process and looking forward to next steps. Plus it will keep you from guessing on how long it will take to find out whether or not you’ll be moving forward!
I found a job through LawCrossing. You guys are doing a great job. I will use you guys again if I ever need to. Thanks.
LawCrossing Fact #50: With hundreds of jobs being added daily, users are closer to finding their dream jobs than ever before.