Attorney careers are lucrative as they are always in great demand. One needs to have substantial commitment to be in this profession. Attorneys need to undergo rigorous training and specialized education. A career as an attorney is considered prestigious and hence salaries are usually high.
- There are many types of specialization when it comes to legal careers, i.e. personal injury lawyers, corporate attorneys, bankruptcy attorneys, family law attorneys, international law attorneys, environmental law attorneys, criminal law attorneys, tax attorneys, and many more.
- To be an attorney, one needs to complete a Bachelor's degree. After that, you are required to complete 3-years of law school from an accredited college or university and then pass the Bar exam. Each state has different requirements for the bar exam.
- Lawyers need to advise and provide counseling to their clients guiding them about legal rights and obligations. As an advocate, they represent a party in civil and criminal trials. While arguing the case, they need to present evidences and witnesses to prove their point.
- Whether you have your own legal practice or work for a legal firm, always work with dedication and honesty. This is because clients become trusted sources for referrals. They are your biggest assets and clients look for attorneys who can work well in creating a good rapport and lasting relationship.
- Attorneys must have excellent written and verbal communication skills as they need to communicate with their clients, peers, and also present their clients' case. Their written skills help them in preparing legal documents.
- Corruption is a major issue in today's attorney careers and it can have dramatic consequences. The purpose of a corrupt lawyer is to secure income in an unrighteous manner through legal lobbying. In the public sector, legal corruption is more.
- More than 25% of all lawyers have their own practice. When you plan to start your own legal practice, you need to invest in infrastructure as you need to have a nicely done up office. You also need to have a website where you can highlight your services.
- To become a successful as an independent practitioner, you need to establish yourself as a brand. This way, you can establish credibility and reach to more clients. Marketing is a challenging aspect of a legal attorney career. If your budget allows, you can also hire a marketing expert.
- In case you are keen on starting your own practice, be ready for low income in the initial period. You need to put in a lot of hard work in establishing yourself as a brand. Once you succeed doing so, you will have no dearth of good clients. Another benefit is that you are not answerable to any boss as you are your own boss.
- Working in a legal firm gives you the advantage of a fixed income, ready clientele, and no worry of advertising, among others.